I have officially finished my first year of teaching. Actually, if I look back, I’ve had lots of years of teaching/working in schools/subbing. However, this was the first time I was the head honcho, the big cheese, the decision maker of the classroom. Upon finishing…these are my thoughts:
1. I GET PAID TO TAKE SUMMER VACATION!!!
2. Teacher prep work wasn’t as difficult as I thought it would be…I pictured myself staying at work for hours upon hours after school. A few days it happened, but I just made myself GET ORGANIZED, and life went smooth.
3. Parents are on your side, be nice to them. Let them know exactly why their kid is awesome.
4. Eating the kid’s school provided snacks (I wasn’t eating anything sent from home, just the ones I provided) is a sure way to gain 20lbs. Have you ever looked at the nutritional contents of graham crackers and goldfish!? What the hey? Just BYOSnack.
5. I loved inviting other people to come read, teach, or introduce the kiddos to something new. I felt like I was Ms. Frizzle, exposing them to a rich new world (que Aladdin music).
6. Lima beans mold when wet.
7. Kids just want you to LIKE them, so just do it.
I’m sure there are a butt load more things…but I’ve moved on already (because its SUMMER). Thankful for a year of firsts….looking forward to a seasoned second.